You can choose any course to start with, but the best way to learn is from your own experience. So start with a course that you can start practice right away. The Movie School Free courses are focusing on the central film departments, and they include writing, directing, producing video editing, cinematography, and even sound design. Each film course is based on my own and others’ experience, and we will be covering a wide variety of topics on each one. If you want to deepen your knowledge, I recommend checking the list I’ve made for the best filmmaking books for beginners and advanced filmmakers. Here are some of the courses you’ll learn here:
Script Writing course
Learn everything you need to write a perfect script – everything from the script’s fundamentals to strong conflict, compelling characters, unique dialogues, and more. This is an excellent course for both beginners and advanced students of all ages that have a strong passion for storytelling. This course is recommended not only for aspiring filmmakers but also for those who want to write for TV and general entertainment. You can take the lessons at your own pace, and you don’t have to read them in the order they are presented, but I do recommend to start with:
- Introduction to Script Writing Course
- and What Does It Takes to Become a Script Writer?
This course also has a few lessons about creative writing, finding your voice, and writing with a strong message. So if you are ready to change the film & television industry, start this course now!
Film Directing Course
In the film, the director is the chief commander of the production. If you want to become a good director, the understanding film is not enough- You need to know how to coordinate all the production departments, the actors, the producers, and many others. This is why you should go through the other courses in this free film school once you finish the directing course. This course is built for the new type of storytellers that want to bring their unique voice into the directing profession. Join us to learn:
- How to handle all the production departments
- How to develop your artistic expression.
- All the stages of turning an idea into a great film.
The film directing course also includes a documentary course that I recommend to check, notably the Documentary History lessons.
Film Production Classes
The hardest part of the producer’s job is to mix the business department with the creative one, and this is a skill you will build with experience. In this free online film course, we will help you prevent mistakes the first time producers usually make. In the free online film school courses we have here you will learn:
- How to handle a low budget film
- How to cast an audition
- The phases of production
- Create a production package and much more.
The film production course will help you to build a producer mindset, that will come handy. The course is also recommended for aspiring directors.
Video Editing Course
There are many video editing courses out there. What makes this one different from others is that we focus on developing the video editor mindset rather than teaching you how to push the buttons of your video editor software. There is no specific software you need to work with- anyone will do. The video editor has a lot to do with the story development. It is known to be said that the final draft of the script is written in the editing room, so knowing how to handle video editing software is not enough to become a video editor. If you are already working in the video editing profession, I’m sure you’ll find some of the lessons useful as they will teach you to work more professionally.
4 principles to understand about learning filmmaking
- Studying filmmaking takes much discipline and might not be for everyone.
- In this digital age, everyone can become a filmmaker and distribute films independently. The only thing that makes the film learning still expensive and complicated are film schools. The truth is that with the money you intended to spend on film school, you can buy film equipment, a complete video editing computer and software, a good enough camera, a good microphone, and even some lighting equipment. If you do that, you’ll end up in a better place in a few years than most film school students. I believe that this is the next step in the film industry evolution. I think that film schools are what’s holding back the film industry these days. I hope the filmmaking courses here will contribute to building a stronger independence industry.
- This online film school focuses more on the practical side of filmmaking and less on the theory stuff of filmmaking, which is usually being taught in film schools.
- This film school contains filmmaking courses for beginners and advanced. We recommend going through as many courses as you can so you will deepen your knowledge in all the aspects of filmmaking
If you have questions or ideas for articles, I will be happy to hear. Your participation will be highly appreciated.